[R] RODBC, freetds, and MS SQL Server

Andrew Schuh andys at neptuneinc.org
Tue Apr 1 02:12:35 CEST 2003

I have a question for RODBC users out there.  I have used the package with
good results for some time.  However, I have just switched from an OpenLink
proprietary driver for MS SQL to the FreeTDS driver (I think it is MS SQL
Server 2000 I'm connecting to if it matters).  I was/am running them from
unixODBC on a Linux Client.  I think I have it set up fine since I can use
"isql" to perform simple queries on the database.  However, I get really odd
behavior when I try to use it through RODBC.  It seems to connect fine but
gives back odd results.  The database I'm accessing is called "cmp" and there
are many tables of which one is called "Medium".  In the past "select * from
cmp.Medium" has returned the whole table to me but now it only seems like I
get column headers.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------##
> library(RODBC)
> con <- odbcConnect("BIGSKY","***","**********")
> con
RODB Connection 0
Details:
  case=nochange
  0À¨¦àÒ¨¦àÒ×
> sqlTables(con)
[1] TABLE_QUALIFIER TABLE_OWNER     TABLE_NAME      TABLE_TYPE
[5] REMARKS
<0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)
> sqlQuery(con,"select * from Medium")
[1] "[RODBC] ERROR: Could not SQLExecute"
[2] "S1000 1 [unixODBC] Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Server BIGSKY, Line
1\nInvalid object name 'Medium'.\n"
> sqlQuery(con,"select * from cmp.Medium")
[1] MediumKey Medium    IsSpecies
<0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)
> version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    6.2
year     2003
month    01
day      10
language R

Also, I'm using the latest RODBC I got from CRAN yesterday.

--
Sincerely,

Andrew Schuh
Environmental Mathematician