[R] GUI's for teaching
mark at myatt.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 15:19:05 CEST 2002
I just thought that I would add my tuppence on this ... what I would
really like for R is not a GUI in the sense of a point and click data
analysis system (R is too rich for anything like that too scratch the
surface) or interactive graphics (I like to script them) but a full
featured IDE with:
1. A syntax highlighting editor
2. Code completion features such as automatic insertion of
3. An ability to submit a file of R commands and capture the
output in an output window.
4. Capturing of errors in code integrated with editor. Some from
of debugging / error tracking / stack tracing would be nice.
5. An object inspector showing the objects available in the
working environment ... it would be nice (e.g.) to be able to
click on a data.frame reference and see column names, classes,
&c. And to be able to paste these into the editor.
6. Basic project management functions.
7. Help system and language guide integrated.
I suppose my view is that R is a language based product and that if any
effort is to go into the user-interface then it should support the
I suppose if the IDE were extensible then it would be possible to add
user defined menus that could call R functions that used the tcltk
library for front-ends.
Just my tuppence.
r-help mailing list -- Read http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !) To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch
More information about the R-help