[R] terribly naive question

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Dec 4 07:44:04 CET 2002

On 3 Dec 2002 at 15:51, Sonia Bauer wrote:

> Dear R-Representative:
> I am very new to R and I have to admit that I am not the cleverest of
> users.  So, please bear with me.  I have installed R on my Mac OS 8.6.
> I am interested in eventually using the packages -- many useful ones
> have been downloaded with the basic R software.  I have looked through
> some of the manuals, however, I have not yet found how to access the
> commands in these packages.  I am assuming there are ways to include
> the functions available in these packages in some kind of path.  I
> have used UNIX and I use my Mac mainly as a word processor, but would
> like to learn R on the Mac and perhaps later for research, possibly on
> a new Mac.  So, my question is, what kind of set up is required for me
> to use these packages? Sorry for such an inane question, but I've
> decided that you will be able to help me much more quickly than I am
> able to find what I need at this point. Thank you VERY MUCH.
> Sincerely, Sonia Bauer

On Windows you can access packages through
menu/packages/load package

or

if you know the "name of the package"
by

library(name of the package)

By the way I *strongly recommend* to read "Introduction to R"
or some other documentation (I presume already downloaded and
stored in /doc path. You can find many of good sources from
CRAN or through internet search eg.StatsRus, J.H.Maindonald's -
Using R for data analysis...,.

Cheers

Petr Pikal
petr.pikal at precheza.cz