[R] How packages are set up

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Tue May 1 22:37:12 CEST 2001

>2. Have package developers found that it works best to
>maintain packages locally using the same directory structure
>described in "Creating R Packages" in the "Writing R
>Extensions" manual?

Yes, except that I keep larger help files in a directory I call mansrc/ and generate
man/ by splitting these into the smaller files for each function. The .R files in my
R/  contain many functions and larger files in mansrc/ correspond to these .R files.

However, I do not run R CMD check from above the package directory, as may be
tempting to do. If you do this you may get extra things like Rcheck directories and
core dumps generated in your source directories.

And while I use the package structure I do not use the bundle structure. This means
that I have to copy my packages into the bundle structure before I use "R CMD build"
to make the tar ball. I have sometimes thought about organizing my source in the
bundle structure and if others have ideas about this I would appreciate hearing. One
of the reasons I have not is because I intend on occassion to move packages into
different bundles. While it is no problem to move a directory around, I am a novice
with CVS and am not so sure that I can move directories around without messing up CVS
badly. (BTW,  there is nothing special about setting up CVS with the package
structure. I actually start CVS somewhat higher so that it gets my Makefiles and
other documentation as well.)

Paul Gilbert

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch