[R] What happenes with R-gnome?

Yves Gauvreau cyg at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 31 17:40:55 CEST 2000

Here is my penny worth on this. I think from the start GUI interfaces where
invented or created to simplify the existence of users with a more natural
or friendlier interaction with the application and/or system. As time went
by the systems and application became more and more complex to the point of
creating something like information overload graphically speaking as in the
example below. Thus now days, one still need a comprehensive knowledge of
the application and\or system in order to exploit them efficiently via
command line or GUI interfaces. Sometimes if not all the time it is more
efficient to use command lines interfaces when available.

This doesn't mean that applications like R should forget all about GUI or
should I say graphics. I would have no objection to leave out the "UI" part
of GUI but I would favor much more "intelligence" into the graphic model.
Things like automatic rescaling and redrawing in cases where for example the
addition of lines, points and\or text would fall outside the limits of the
first plot command. Things like zooming capabilities, like callbacks for
interactive purposes, comprehensive 3D and the works.

I dream of the day when systems and applications will isolate completely the
user from the specifics of the implementations. In other words the systems
and applications would be sufficiently "intelligent" to interpret what the
user ask verbally, ask for clarifications if necessary, query the pertinent
data, perform whatever task are necessary and produce the output of the
query in a form suitable for the problem at end and some.

I'm still young maybe in 20-30 years will have something à la StarTrek.

Regards

Yves Gauvreau