R-beta: R rules!

Friedrich Leisch Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 23 11:44:56 CEST 1997

ID> On 22 Oct 1997, Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
>> "John vanVlaanderen" <johnvv at hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > rpm is a command and a *.rpm file is an installable cross between a tgz
>> > and an self extracting *.exe file.  To reinterate, it is a star product
>> > and in the copy-left.
ID> Yes, and it doesn't work on Slackware and possibly other Linux
ID> Installations. It also insists on its own very idiosyncratic directory
ID> structure.
ID> If RedHat users want their .rpm files - fine.
ID> However do keep up the .tar.gz file format, which needs only standard unix
ID> utilities for its use.

I fail to se the point of this discussion ... the sources will always
be available as tar-files only because they are platform-independent.

the idea of providing binary packages via CRAN is to ease the
installation for as many platforms as possible ... so if for your
favourite platform/distribution combination there are packages at CRAN
-> fine grab and install them.

if there are none: there simply wasn't any volunteer for making
them. if you got working packages, simply put them in the incoming
directory at

	ftp://ftp.ci.tuwien.ac.at

and drop a note to

	sysadmin at ci.tuwien.ac.at

There is NO POLICY behind which packages are on CRAN, there are simply
ONLY THOSE SUBMITTED BY SOMEBODY. E.g., there are Debian packages
because we use debian and put them onto CRAN.

Best,
Fritz

                        Friedrich  Leisch
Institut für Statistik                      Tel: (+43 1) 58801 4541
Technische Universität Wien                 Fax: (+43 1)  504 14 98
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch
     PGP public key http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/pgp.key
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"