[Rd] int overflow writing long vectors to socketConnection

Tue Oct 12 11:34:59 CEST 2021

    > Hi,

    > Writing >=2GB to a socketConnection (e.g. via writeBin) does not work correctly, because of this int typecast in modules/internet/sockconn.c:
    >> static size_t sock_write(const void *ptr, size_t size, size_t nitems,
    >> Rconnection con)
    >> {
    >> Rsockconn this = (Rsockconn)con->private;
    >> ssize_t n = R_SockWrite(this->fd, ptr, (int)(size * nitems),
    this-> timeout)/((ssize_t)size);
    >> return n > 0 ? n : 0;
    >> }
    > which seems uncalled for, given:
    >> ssize_t R_SockWrite(int sockp, const void *buf, size_t len, int timeout)

    > Is there a rationale for it, or should it be fixed?

I've fixed it; it's clearly been a  "typo" introduced at the
same when the type of 'len' in the R_SockWrite() header was
changed from int to size_t .. and the intent must have been to
do the same inside sock_write().

    > Best,
    > --
    > Zafer