[Rd] na.omit inconsistent with is.na on list

Hugh Parsonage hugh@p@r@on@ge @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 13 10:09:43 CEST 2021

The data.frame method deliberately skips non-atomic columns before
invoking is.na(x) so I think it is fair to assume this behaviour is
intentional and assumed.

Not so clear to me that there is a sensible answer for list columns.
(List columns seem to collide with the expectation that in each
variable every observation will be of the same type)

Consider your list L as

L <- list(NULL, NA, c(NA, NA))

Seems like every observation could have a claim to be 'missing' here.
Concretely, if a data.frame had a list column representing the lat-lon
of an observation, we might only be able to represent missing values
like c(NA, NA).