[Rd] R CMD INSTALL warning for S4 replacement functions on R 4.1.0-alpha

Sat Apr 24 15:44:56 CEST 2021

    > Hi all,
    > Since R 4.1, R CMD INSTALL throws warning during building the man pages, when installing from source.

    > We noticed this first on Windows for man pages involving S4 replacement function:

    > *   http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/Modstrings/riesling1-checksrc.html
    > *   http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/GenomicAlignments/riesling1-checksrc.html

    > However, it's also showing up on linux with a slight twist (file not found instead of invalid argument) for other functions:

    > *   https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_Matrix.html (right at the end)

    >> From the messages and the involved offending filenames, we hypothesize that this is triggered by invalid filenames specific to the OS.
    > Please note, that the warning is not issued during R CMD CHECK for a given package.

    > Can anyone comment on this? Is more information needed? If it is a bug, I am happy to post on the bug tracker.

    > Thanks for any advice.

    > Best regards,
    > Felix

Thanks a lot, Felix,  for the heads up -- and for using the
pre-release versions of R ---- you should be role model to the
many readers of 'R-devel'   and other R developers -- even doing
it for a living and who are *still* not help the R project by
the relatively simple act of starting to work with
 'R x.y.0 alpha'

To the topic,  yes, I think there's something we (the R core
team) has not considered when implementing some of the changes
in static help page creation.

This will now get technical .... but that should always be ok /
even desirable for the  R-devel  list :

The CRAN check on Matrix (with R 4.1.0 alpha, called "R-patched") you mention,
here more directly
     https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-patched-linux-x86_64/Matrix-00check.html
has the relevant lines

checking whether package ‘Matrix’ can be installed ... WARNING
Found the following significant warnings:
  Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: chol,dsCMatrix-method
  Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: chol,lsCMatrix-method
  Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: chol,nsCMatrix-method
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ddiMatrix,ddenseMatrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ddiMatrix,ldenseMatrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ddiMatrix,ndenseMatrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ldiMatrix,ddenseMatrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ldiMatrix,ldenseMatrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ldiMatrix,ndenseMatrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ddiMatrix,Matrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: cannot open file ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-patched-gcc/Work/build/Packages/00LOCK-Matrix/00new/Matrix/help/%/%,ldiMatrix,Matrix-method.html’: No such file or directory
  Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: expand
  Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: crossprod-methods
  Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: tcrossprod-methods
See https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-patched-linux-x86_64/Matrix-00install.html for details.

and the (quite large, from many C compilation warnings (from
         SuiteSparse, not Matrix directly))
00install.html then gives the details:

*** installing help indices
  converting help for package ‘Matrix’
    finding HTML links ... done
    BunchKaufman-methods                    html
    CAex                                    html

 [...............]

    bandSparse                              html
    bdiag                                   html
    boolean-matprod                         html
REDIRECT:file	 boolean-matprod.html -> boolean-matprod.html [ SUCCESS ]
    cBind                                   html
    chol                                    html
Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: chol,dsCMatrix-method
Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: chol,lsCMatrix-method
Rd warning: Previous alias or file overwritten by alias: chol,nsCMatrix-method
    chol2inv-methods                        html
    colSums                                 html
    compMatrix-class                        html
    condest                                 html
    dMatrix-class                           html
    ddenseMatrix-class                      html
    ddiMatrix-class                         html
    denseMatrix-class                       html
    dgCMatrix-class                         html
    dgRMatrix-class                         html
    dgTMatrix-class                         html
    dgeMatrix-class                         html
    diagU2N                                 html
    diagonalMatrix-class                    html
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ddiMatrix,ddenseMatrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ddiMatrix,ldenseMatrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ddiMatrix,ndenseMatrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ldiMatrix,ddenseMatrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ldiMatrix,ldenseMatrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ldiMatrix,ndenseMatrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ddiMatrix,Matrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:topic	 %/%,ldiMatrix,Matrix-method -> diagonalMatrix-class.html [ FAIL ]
[...]
    dpoMatrix-class                         html
    drop0                                   html
    dsCMatrix-class                         html
    dsRMatrix-class                         html
    dsparseMatrix-class                     html
    dsyMatrix-class                         html
    dtCMatrix-class                         html
    dtRMatrix-class-def                     html
REDIRECT:file	 dtRMatrix-class-def.html -> dtRMatrix-class-def.html [ SUCCESS ]
    dtpMatrix-class                         html
    dtrMatrix-class                         html

 [...................]

What I am really puzzled about is why this only shows for
R 4.1.0 alpha  -- which was split off R-devel only Tuesday (Apr
20) .... and we had never seen this issue on R-devel,  where
indeed we did change help page HTML link creations  on purpose
but really many months ago, starting around here (which has been
a big improvement liked by many who had wished for it!):

r79075 | deepayan | 2020-08-25 08:32:39 +0200 (Tue, 25 Aug 2020) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M doc/NEWS.Rd
   M doc/manual/R-exts.texi
   M src/library/tools/R/Rd2HTML.R
   M src/library/tools/R/dynamicHelp.R

help system now prefers topic over filename in external package help links

and there quite a few tweaks and improvements to

   src/library/tools/R/Rd2HTML.R

after that ... but none happened the last couple of weeks,  so
R 4.1.0 and R-devel should be identical here.... but the CRAN
checks using R-devel don't seem to show anything.
... hence my deep puzzlement.

Thank you once more for the report,
Martin

--