[Rd] R CMD INSTALL warning for S4 replacement functions on R 4.1.0-alpha

Sebastian Meyer @eb@meyer @end|ng |rom |@u@de
Fri Apr 23 23:23:16 CEST 2021

I can confirm this Rd warning in R-devel (2021-04-23 r80216), but not in
R 4.0.5. It happens when installing the static help (INSTALL option --html).

The following R code reproduces the warning by creating a tiny test
package and then calling relevant internal functions from 'tools':

```R

## create test package
dir.create(pkgdir <- tempfile())
tools:::.write_description(  # need a DESCRIPTION
    unlist(head(packageDescription("tools"), -1)),
    file.path(pkgdir, "DESCRIPTION"))
dir.create(file.path(pkgdir, "man"))
cat(r"(\name{test-package}
\title{Test Package}
\alias{\%/\%}
\description{Test alias.}
)", file = file.path(pkgdir, "man", "test-package.Rd"))

## build HTML help
dir.create(outDir <- tempfile())
tools:::.install_package_description(pkgdir, outDir)
tools:::.writePkgIndices(pkgdir, outDir)
tools:::.convertRdfiles(pkgdir, outDir, types = "html")

```

The output is

  converting help for package ‘tools’
    finding HTML links ... done
    test-package                            html
REDIRECT:topic	 %/% -> test-package.html [ FAIL ]
REDIRECT:file	 test-package.html -> test-package.html [ SUCCESS ]
Rd warning: cannot open file
'/tmp/RtmpasTPyq/fileb3d72f4ea1cf/help/%/%.html': No such file or directory

A workaround (if needed) is to set the environment variable
_R_HELP_LINKS_TO_TOPICS_ to a false value.

Best regards,

	Sebastian