[Rd] R extension memory leak detection question

Tue Apr 6 00:53:25 CEST 2021

On 5 April 2021 at 18:27, xiaoyan yu wrote:
| Thank you all for your help.
| We embedded R in our program and found the memory in the process
| accumulated while our expectation is that the memory will go down after
| each R evaluation.
| I started to write a test program with only a few lines of R embedded codes
| and found the memory never went down even after R library is unloaded.
| Please find more details in the readme and test program at
| https://github.com/xiaoyanyuvt/RMemTest

You may find the projects RInside (for easily embedding R inside C++
programs) and littler (also embedding R, but using C only, for use in
lightweight cmdline applications) useful.  Those have existed for, give or
take, 10 and 15 years and have not proven to show memory leaks so I feel the
burden of proof is still on you.

Also I got your program to compile (after making the 'makefile' a bit more
general, and fixing two things upsetting current C++ compilers) but I am not
sure we really see memory consumption:

   edd using rob:~$ ps -fv $(pgrep -x foo)
       PID TTY      STAT   TIME  MAJFL   TRS   DRS   RSS %MEM COMMAND
   1456192 pts/9    S+     0:00      0     1  5890  1768  0.0 ./foo
   edd using rob:~$ ps -fv $(pgrep -x foo)
       PID TTY      STAT   TIME  MAJFL   TRS   DRS   RSS %MEM COMMAND
   1456192 pts/9    Sl+    0:00      0     1 1617174 9896  0.0 ./foo
   edd using rob:~$

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org