[Rd] R 4.0.0 build error with sysdata.rda on ppc64el architecture

Thu Apr 30 02:49:23 CEST 2020

On 29 April 2020 at 11:22, peter dalgaard wrote:
| Hum, at least it is not Apple, so maybe you can attach a debugger to the running process? (gdb -p process_id or something like that --- haven't actually done it for a decade). Then at least we can get a stack trace and a clue about where it is looping. Diddling optimization options can also sometimes provide a clue.

(Missed this earlier as the conversation moved off-list.)

And to keep the list abreast, this appears to be related to the long double
issue on powerpc where needed an extra #define to ensure compilation. That
commit is the difference in a bisection as I was able to demonstrate. The
issue can also be circumvented by disabling long double support on the
platform, but hopefully a better fix can be found.  Bryan Lewis was
eagle-eyed on this and very helpful. The issue is now back in the hands of R
Core and I and others will await the news.

Dirk