[Rd] Plotmath on Fedora 31 broken with with pango >= 1.44 - workarounds?

Paul Murrell p@u| @end|ng |rom @t@t@@uck|@nd@@c@nz
Wed Apr 8 23:08:35 CEST 2020

Thanks for this Gabriel - extremely useful.
Those results look pretty good.

Paul

On 8/04/20 9:55 pm, Gabriel Becker wrote:
> [...]
>          >>>
>          >>> Paul
>          >>>
>          >>>
>          >>> On 27/03/20 11:30 pm, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
>          >>>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 12:25, Nicolas Mailhot
>          >>>> <nicolas.mailhot using laposte.net
>         <mailto:nicolas.mailhot using laposte.net>> wrote:
>          >>>>>
>          >>>>> <snip>
>          >>>>>
>          >>>>> R brought this all on itself by hardcoding a Windows-only
>         “Symbol”
>          >>>>> font
>          >>>>> family name in its default conf. Linux systems are UTF-8
>         by default
>          >>>>> for
>          >>>>> ~20 years now, they don’t need the forcing of magic font
>         families to
>          >>>>> handle symbols not present in the 8-bit legacy Windows
>         encodings.
>          >>>>>
>          >>>>> The actual effect of this conf is not the selection of
>         font files with
>          >>>>> special and unusual symbols. It is to priorize fonts that
>         match the
>          >>>>> "Symbol" magic name. And those fonts are few and
>         crumbling on Linux
>          >>>>> systems, because no one has needed to bother with them
>         since Linux
>          >>>>> switched to UTF-8 last millenium.
>          >>>>>
>          >>>>> Just stop using “Symbol” in R and things will work a lot
>         better.
>          >>>>> Alternatively, prepare to maintain the “Symbol” aliasing
>         stack in
>          >>>>> fontconfig (and fight with wine for it), because *no*
>         *one* *else*
>          >>>>> *cares* about this legacy Windows-specific stuff.
>          >>>>
>          >>>> So, in the light of Nicolas' input (thanks!), I think that
>         font
>          >>>> selection should be fixed upstream in R. I'd be happy to
>         put all this
>          >>>> together in R's bugzilla, but I don't have an account.
>         Could someone
>          >>>> please invite me?
>          >>>>
>          >>>> Iñaki
>          >>>>
>          >>>> ______________________________________________
>          >>>> R-devel using r-project.org <mailto:R-devel using r-project.org>
>         mailing list
>          >>>> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>          >>>>
>          >>
>          >

>         --
>         Dr Paul Murrell
>         Department of Statistics
>         The University of Auckland
>         Private Bag 92019
>         Auckland
>         New Zealand
>         64 9 3737599 x85392
>         paul using stat.auckland.ac.nz <mailto:paul using stat.auckland.ac.nz>

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019