[Rd] Plotmath on Fedora 31 broken with with pango >= 1.44 - workarounds?

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 8 11:55:31 CEST 2020

Hi Paul,

So I've run the tests (and am  attaching all numerous pdfs here) but the
takeaway from what I can see is as follows:

raw, without specifying font family, "look good" (see plot*raw.pdf)  from
your branch (my eye is upset by the positioning of the phi symbol in plot2,
but I've confirmed that it looks the same generated from 3.5.1, so
that isn't your branch).

The various font family settings seem to work too, from what I can tell.
Both font families you suggested, however, Helvetica and Apple Symbols (the
s is important) have significantly incomplete coverage with PUA on. Apple
Symbols does have nearly complete coverage (though  to my eye the symbols
are all smaller...) with PUA turned off, but Helvetica remains very spotty,
with disabling PUA only modestly increasing it's coverage, and not in the
places that seem likely to matter.

I hope that helps,
~G