[Rd] S4SXP type vs S4 object bit?

Michael Lawrence |@wrence@m|ch@e| @end|ng |rom gene@com
Tue Oct 22 17:00:51 CEST 2019

Yes, any object of a class that derives from a basic type, like an
atomic vector for example, will be of the basic SEXP type, with the S4
bit set. This means that a class can extend "integer" and objects of
that class can be treated as any ordinary integer vector. S4SXP is
only for objects that do not derive from another basic type.

Michael