[Rd] should base R have a piping operator ?

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Sat Oct 5 20:08:48 CEST 2019

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 19:54, Hugh Marera <hugh.marera using gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] it is not very difficult to find functions in dplyr or data.table or indeed other packages that one may wish to be in base R. Examples, for me, could include data.table::fread

You have utils::read.table and the like.

> dplyr::group_by & dplyr::summari[sZ]e combo

base::tapply, base::by, stats::aggregate.

> [...] Many R users don't even know that they are installing the magrittr package.

And that's one of the reasons why the proposal makes sense. Another
one is that the pipe plays well with many base R functions, such as
subset, transform, merge, aggregate and reshape.

Iñaki