[Rd] issue with latest release of R-devel

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 28 04:44:14 CET 2019

Could this be related to


The default method for generating from a discrete uniform distribution
(used in sample(), for instance) has been changed. This addresses the
fact, pointed out by Ottoboni and Stark, that the previous method made
sample() noticeably non-uniform on large populations. See PR#17494 for
a discussion. The previous method can be requested using RNGkind() or
RNGversion() if necessary for reproduction of old results. Thanks to
Duncan Murdoch for contributing the patch and Gabe Becker for further

If so, testing with

   export _R_RNG_VERSION_=3.5.0

might remove/explain those errors.

Just a thought


On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 8:16 PM Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. via R-devel
<r-devel using r-project.org> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to submit an update of survival, and is my habit I run the checks on all
> packages that depend/import/suggest  survival.  I am getting some very odd behaviour wrt
> non-reproducability.  It came to a head when some things failed on one machine and worked
> on another.   I found that the difference was that the failure was using the 3/27 release
> and the success was still on a late Jan release.   When I updated R on the latter machine
> it now fails too.
> An example is the test cases in genfrail.Rd, in the frailtySurv package.   (The package
> depends on survival, but I'm fairly sure that this function does not.)   It's a fairly
> simple function to generate test data sets, with a half dozen calls in the test file.  If
> you cut and paste the whole batch into an R session, the last one of them fails.  But if
> you run that call by itself it works.   This yes/no behavior is reproducable.
> Another puzzler was the ranger package.  In the tests/testthat directory,
> source('test_maxstat') fails if it is preceeded by source('test_jackknife'), but not
> otherwise.  Again, I don't think the survival package is implicated in either of these tests.
> Another package that succeeded under the older r-devel and now fails is arsenal, but I
> haven't looked deeply at that.
> Any insight would be be appreciated.
> Terry T.
> ----
> Here is the sessionInfo() for one of the machines.  The other is running xubuntu 18 LTS.
> (It's at the office, and I can send that tomorrow when I get in.)
> R Under development (unstable) (2019-03-28 r76277)
> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
> Running under: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
> Matrix products: default
> BLAS:   /usr/local/src/R-devel/lib/libRblas.so
> LAPACK: /usr/local/src/R-devel/lib/libRlapack.so
> locale:
>   [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
>   [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=C
>   [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
>   [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods base
> loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
> [1] compiler_3.6.0
>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
> ______________________________________________
> R-devel using r-project.org mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

More information about the R-devel mailing list