[Rd] Bug or undocumented behavior in normalizePath() with file system links on windows

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jan 29 12:18:11 CET 2019

I think this is caused by insufficient permissions on "C:/Programme"
junction, and the behavior of normalizePath is as documented. I can get
the same error with "C:/Documents and Settings", which is on my machine
a junction into "C:/Users". The path cannot be normalized using
normalizePath(), because my user account does not have read (listing)
permissions for the junction "C:/Documents and Settings". This is
documented in ?normalizePath as one of the reasons for it to signal an
error (and, on Windows, read permissions for a directory are needed for
conversion to long path names). Normalization works fine for both
junctions and symbolic links with sufficient permissions (note that on
Windows, as documented, links are not resolved; on Unix/POSIX they are,
by realpath).

Best,
Tomas