[Rd] Maybe bug? Using non-integer frequencies in stats::ts

Fri Dec 6 18:35:32 CET 2019

To R-devel:

I've sent this to Johann privately already; just in case anyone else is
interested in this issue, here's what I wrote:

Just started looking into it, and discovered this paragraph in ?ts:

"The value of argument frequency is used when the series is sampled an
integral number of times in each unit time interval. For example, one
could use a value of 7 for frequency when the data are sampled daily,
and the natural time period is a week, or 12 when the data are sampled
monthly and the natural time period is a year. Values of 4 and 12 are
assumed in (e.g.) print methods to imply a quarterly and monthly series
respectively."

That says that frequency will be a positive integer, so frequency=0.2
was not intended to be covered, and I'd say it's not exactly a bug that
it doesn't work.  (It might be called a bug that there's no error message.)

On the other hand, it comes close to working, and it seems like allowing
frequency=0.2 would be a useful addition.  I'm going to keep looking,
and see how hard it would be to get this to work properly.  If it
doesn't break other things, I may submit this as an enhancement.

Duncan Murdoch