[Rd] all.equal failure and [.terms

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therne@u @end|ng |rom m@yo@edu
Fri Apr 5 19:09:11 CEST 2019

The all.equal was a side issue for me; I don't have strong opinions one way or the other.
You are welcome to leave me out of the loop on that.  (Or leave me on the cc, whatever is
easiest).

  I will update the survival package once the [.terms issues are addressed.

  One debatable issues is the choice of change vs document for the offset() issue.  With
my proposed fix or without it, offsets are completely ignored by [.terms and dropterms.
So with a formula of

    z <- terms(y~ x1 + offset(x2) + x3)

the 2 in drop.terms(z, 2) or z[-2] refers to x3, and the result will drop both the offset
and x3.  For the use cases that I can think of the two functions are used at the 'build
the X matrix' stage, offsets have already been accounted for, and the present behavior is
fine.  My vote would be to document it with a few lines in the help file since that is the
easiest.  Offsets don't count as a 'term' in the assign attribute either so the current
behavior is consistent in that respect.

Terry T.