[Rd] Bias in R's random integers?

Radford Neal r@dford @ending from c@@toronto@edu
Thu Sep 20 17:01:33 CEST 2018

> From: Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>

> Let's try it:
>
>  > m <- (2/5)*2^32
>  > m > 2^31
> [1] FALSE
>  > x <- sample(m, 1000000, replace = TRUE)
>  > table(x %% 2)
>
>       0      1
> 399850 600150
>
> Since m is an even number, the true proportions of evens and odds should
> be exactly 0.5.  That's some pretty strong evidence of the bug in the
> generator.

It seems to be a recently-introduced bug.  Here's output with R-2.15.1:

  R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22) -- "Roasted Marshmallows"
  Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
  ISBN 3-900051-07-0
  Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Type 'q()' to quit R.

  > set.seed(123)
  > m <- (2/5)*2^32
  > m > 2^31
  [1] FALSE
  > x <- sample(m, 1000000, replace = TRUE)
  > table(x %% 2)

       0      1
  499412 500588

So I doubt that this has anything to do with bias from using 32-bit
random values.

   Radford Neal