[Rd] unlist errors on a nested list of empty lists

Steven Nydick @wnydick @ending from gm@il@com
Tue May 8 22:50:56 CEST 2018

It also does the same thing if the factor is not on the first level of the
list, which seems to be due to the fact that the islistfactor is recursive,
but if a list is a list-factor, the first level lists are coerced into
character strings.

> x <- list(list(factor(LETTERS[1])))
> unlist(x)
Error in as.character.factor(x) : malformed factor

However, if one of the factors is at the top level, and one is nested, then
the result is:

> x <- list(list(factor(LETTERS[1])), factor(LETTERS[2]))
> unlist(x)

[1] <NA> B
Levels: B

... which does not seem to me to be desired behavior.

--
Steven Nydick
PhD, Quantitative Psychology