[Rd] unlist errors on a nested list of empty lists

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Tue May 8 21:22:08 CEST 2018

On 08/05/2018 2:58 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 08/05/2018 1:48 PM, Steven Nydick wrote:
>> Reproducible example:
>>
>> x <- list(list(list(), list()))
>> unlist(x)
>>
>> *> Error in as.character.factor(x) : malformed factor*
>
> The error comes from the line
>
> structure(res, levels = lv, names = nm, class = "factor")
>
> which is called because unlist() thinks that some entry is a factor,
> with NULL levels and NULL names.  It's not legal for a factor to have
> NULL levels.  Probably it should never get here; the earlier test
>
> if (.Internal(islistfactor(x, recursive))) {
>
> should have been false, and then the result would have been
>
> .Internal(unlist(x, recursive, use.names))
>
> (with both recursive and use.names being TRUE), which returns NULL.

And the problem is in the islistfactor function in src/main/apply.c,
which looks like this:

static Rboolean islistfactor(SEXP X)
{
     int i, n = length(X);

     switch(TYPEOF(X)) {
     case VECSXP:
     case EXPRSXP:
         if(n == 0) return NA_LOGICAL;
         for(i = 0; i < LENGTH(X); i++)
             if(!islistfactor(VECTOR_ELT(X, i))) return FALSE;
         return TRUE;
         break;
     }
     return isFactor(X);
}

One of those deeply nested lists is length 0, so at the lowest level it
returns NA_LOGICAL.  But then it does C-style logical testing on the
results.  I think to C NA_LOGICAL counts as true, so at the next level
up we get the wrong answer.

A fix would be to rewrite it like this:

static Rboolean islistfactor(SEXP X)
{
     int i, n = length(X);
     Rboolean result = NA_LOGICAL, childresult;
     switch(TYPEOF(X)) {
     case VECSXP:
     case EXPRSXP:
         for(i = 0; i < LENGTH(X); i++) {
             childresult = islistfactor(VECTOR_ELT(X, i));
             if(childresult == FALSE) return FALSE;
             else if(childresult == TRUE) result = TRUE;
         }
         return result;
         break;
     }