[Rd] Testing for vectors

Hadley Wickham h@wickh@m @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jul 9 01:13:41 CEST 2018

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 11:19 PM, Gabe Becker <becker.gabe using gene.com> wrote:
> Hadley,
>

> On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 1:32 PM, Hadley Wickham <h.wickham using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 1:50 PM, Gabe Becker <becker.gabe using gene.com> wrote:
>> > Hadley,

>> > Can you clarify what you mean by dimensionality sense and specifically
>> > 1d
>> > here?
>>
>> What do we call a vector that is not an array? (or matrix)
>>
>> What do we call an object that acts 1-dimensional? (i.e. has
>> length(dim()) %in% c(0, 1)) ?
>

> Right, or even (length(dim()) == 0 || sum(dim() > 1) <= 1)
>
>  but that is exactly my point, those two(/three) sets of things are not the
> same. 1d arrays meet the second definition but not the first. Matrices and
> arrays that don't meet either of yours would still meet mine. Which
> definition are you proposing strictly define what a vector is?

I am not proposing any definition. I am enquiring if there is a
definition in base R. The answer appears to be now.

> Another completely unrelated way to define vector, btw, is via the vector
> interface (from what I recall this is roughly [, [[, length, and format
> methods, though I'm probably forgetting some). This is (more or less)
> equivalent to defining a vector as "a thing that can be the column of a
> data.frame and have all the base-provided machinery work".

I don't know if that definition is adequate because a call would be a
vector by that definition. I'm pretty sure a call does not make sense
as a data frame column.

Also technically data frames don't require their columns to have equal
length(), but equal NROW(). So the spirit of that definition would
imply that a matrices and arrays are also vectors, which seems like it
might be undesirable.

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz