[Rd] Testing for vectors

Ott Toomet otoomet @ending from gm@il@com
Sun Jul 8 06:44:24 CEST 2018

Gabe,
I agree that

If by standard you mean commonly used/understood, though, I doubt
> most R users would understand a list to be a vector. I think most people
> think of atomic vectors exclusively when they hear "vector" unless they've
> very specifically been trained not to do so.

However, a common way to create lists is by a construct like
'vector("list", n)'.  Also, 'is.vector' reports TRUE for lists (but FALSE
for many other vectors).  This causes quite a bit of confusion, unless
everyone understands the different 'vector' concepts, embedded in R.

Cheers,
Ott