[Rd] Bug in file.access on Windows when using network shares

Nick Kennedy mli@t@ @ending from nick-kennedy@com
Tue Jul 3 23:08:21 CEST 2018

Dear Tomas,

Thanks for your email. This can be easily reproduced if there is access to
a shared folder. I've reproduced this behaviour on both Windows 7 and
Windows 10.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Ensure Offline Files is turned on within Windows
2. Using Windows Explorer, browse to a folder shared on a network using a
UNC path, e.g. \\mypc\myshare\
3. Create a test file, e.g. test.txt
4. Within R, try the following:

file.access("//mypc/myshare/test.txt",0)
# Returns 0
file.access("//mypc/myshare/test.txt",4)
# Returns -1 if the share is on a non-Windows host, 0 if it is on a Windows
host

5. Right click on the file within Windows Explorer and ensure 'always
available offline' is checked.
6. Wait for the sync to take place.
7. Disconnect from the network.
8. Within R, try the same commands again

file.access("//mypc/myshare/test.txt",0)
# Returns 0
file.access("//mypc/myshare/test.txt",4)
# Returns -1 regardless of whether the original host was Windows or
non-Windows

In all cases the file is actually readable.

I've created my own version of winAccessW in extra.c at
https://github.com/NikNakk/r-source/commit/0a82f6d23b8a2ace44e43a28cb6eb923145a13c8

Almost all of the code in here can be replaced with a simple call to
_waccess, other than the check for executable. This seems to work as
expected. Since _waccess exists as a system call within Windows and has the
same syntax (other than wide characters) as access in POSIX, why not use it?

BW

Nick