[Rd] Bug in file.access on Windows when using network shares

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@liber@ @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Jul 3 10:21:56 CEST 2018

Dear Nick,

thank you for your report. In general one cannot know reliably in
advance whether reading a file will work, if nothing else, there are
possible race conditions with other applications and/or the system (e.g.
a service may lock the file, move it away temporarily, etc). The only
correct way to handle errors is try the read and catch errors. Please
note there is a disclaimer in ?file.access to this effect.

If you still want to report a bug in file.access, please provide an
example that does not require a package, and provide more details (what
do you think would be the correct behavior, etc). From looking at the
code, when winAccessW/GetFileSecurityW fails to retrieve information
about the file, file.access would signal an error, which seems to be a
fine behavior for me. It is not surprising to me that in some cases
(like working on a local copy of a file in a distributed file-system),
the OS would not know whether a file is readable/writeable before trying
out on/syncing the distributed version.

Best
Tomas