[Rd] Best practices in developing package: From a single file

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 13:10:07 CET 2018

On 31/01/2018 6:33 AM, Joris Meys wrote:
> Dear Duncan,
>
> With all respect, but I strongly disagree on your stance regarding
> roxygen2 for multiple reasons:
>
> 1. It is in my humble opinion not correct to evaluate a tool based on
> the abuse of some users. It's not because people write packages with bad
> documentation, that roxygen2 is to blame. I use roxygen2, and I care a
> great deal about documentation. So I actually took a bit offense there.

Sorry about that.  I did say I wanted to be proven wrong.

> 2. Writing .Rd files directly means that you have to write out the usage
> yourself, know the different tags needed for documenting different types
> of generics and methods, and so forth.

Not at all --- that's what the prompt() function does.

> It means a lot more iterations to
> get every tag right so that R CMD check does not complain any more. It
> requires a more detailed knowledge of the entire Rd tag system compared
> to letting roxygen2 do the standard work for you. So one could argue
> that the extra knowledge required would actually hinder starting
> developers to write good documentation as opposed to help them.

New users (and old users) should use prompt() to set up the basic help page.

There are situations where prompt() doesn't help, namely edits to
existing pages:

  - adding a second function.
  - adding new parameters.

I think the infrastructure is there to allow functions to be written to
do these things, but as far as I know nobody has done it.

> 3. given your criticism, I'd like your opinion on where I can improve
> the documentation of https://github.com/CenterForStatistics-UGent/pim.
> I'm currently busy updating the help files for a next release on CRAN,
> so your input is more than welcome.

Sure, I'll take a look.

> I'm not going to force anyone to use roxygen2. But I personally find it
> easier to have the function right below the documentation, so that any
> change to the function can immediately be documented as well. You prefer
> to do this by keeping that strictly separated, which is absolutely fine.
> It's just not my prefered workflow. Different animal, different habits I
> guess.
>
> On a sidenote: I had a lot of complaints about earlier iterations of
> roxygen2 and the many changes to tags and their meanings, but the
> roxygen2 package matured in the meantime and has been a stable and
> reliable tool for me the past years.

I formed my opinion several years ago, so perhaps I should take another
look.  One problem is lock-in:  once you write an Rd file, you can't (as
far as I know) easily import it as Roxygen markup.  So I'd have to start
a new package to get experience with Roxygen.  Maybe it should be the
package that adds the Rd tools mentioned above :-).

Duncan Murdoch