[Rd] R CMD build then check fails on R-devel due to serialization version

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 11 14:47:49 CET 2018

As things stand now, package tarballs with vignettes that are built
with R-devel will not install in R 3.4.x, so CRAN can't accept them
and someone running R CMD check --as-cran should be told that. A
WARNING is appropriate.

Most likely what will change soon is that build/version.rds will be
saved with serialization version = 2 and this warning will not be
triggered just by having a vignette. It will still be triggered by
data files serialized with R-devel's default version = 3.

Please do remember that the 'devel' in R-devel means exactly that:
things will at times be unstable. There are currently a lot of balls
flying around with changes in R-devel and also Biocontuctor, and the
CRAN maintainers are working hard to keep things all up in the
air. Please be patient.

Best,

luke