[Rd] Bug: Issues on Windows with SFN disabled

Zach Bjornson zbbjornson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 18:14:20 CET 2017

Thanks for fixing this!

For what it's worth, the Windows installers for other programming
language runtimes often install outside of Program Files, so at least
there is 'prior art' to motivate having R install directly into the
root of the home drive:

This is actually a pretty big peeve of mine. "Program Files" is where
programs are *supposed* to reside on Windows.

>> Related (but moderately more advanced), why does R still install
"everything"
>> under one (versioned) directory so that uninformed users on upgrade
"miss"
>> all previously installed packages?

Will this work for native (C/C++) packages? I thought they need to have
matching ABIs with the R executable.

Zach