[Rd] Bug: Issues on Windows with SFN disabled

Kevin Ushey kevinushey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 17:52:23 CET 2017

For what it's worth, the Windows installers for other programming
language runtimes often install outside of Program Files, so at least
there is 'prior art' to motivate having R install directly into the
root of the home drive:

    - ActiveState Perl installs directly C:/Perl;
    - Python installs (when installing for all users) into C:/Python$VERSION;
    - The Ruby installers at https://rubyinstaller.org/ default to the
root home drive.

So I (as Dirk said earlier) would also be in favor of having R install
directly to the root of the home drive, with e.g. C:/R/R-x.y.z being
the default install location.

Best,
Kevin