[Rd] "table(droplevels(aq)$Month)" in manual page of droplevels

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 13 16:16:27 CEST 2017

    > Hello, Inline.

    > Em 12-04-2017 16:40, Henric Winell escreveu:
    >> (Let's keep the discussion on-list -- I've added back
    >> R-devel.)

    >> 12.04.2017
    >>> Nachricht

    >>> The "surprising" thing is the syntax: I was unaware that
    >>> '$' is a generic operator that can be applied to the
    >>> result of a function (i.e.: droplevels); I thought it's
    >>> kind of a special variable syntax.
    >>
    >> Then your surprise is unrelated to the use of
    >> 'droplevels'.
    >>
    >> Since the 'droplevels' method for objects of class
    >> "data.frame" returns a data frame, the extraction
    >> operator '$' works directly on the resulting object.  So,
    >> 'droplevels(aq)$Month' is essentially the same as
    >>
    >> aq <- droplevels(aq) aq$Month
    >>
    >> > Isn't there also the syntax
    >> ``droplevels(aq)["Month"]''?
    >>
    >> Sure, and there are even more ways to do subsetting.  But
    >> this is basic stuff and therefore off-topic for R-devel.
    >> Please see the manual (?Extract) or, e.g., Chapter 3 of
    >> Hadley Wickham's "Advanced R".

    > But note that droplevels(aq)["Month"] and
    > droplevels(aq)$Month are _not_ the same. The first returns
    > a data.frame (with just one vector), the latter returns a
    > vector. To return just a vector you could also use

    > droplevels(aq)[["Month"]]

    > which is preferable for programming, by the way. The '$'
    > operator should be reserved for interactive use only.

    > Hope this helps,

Indeed, we hope..  Thanks to the helpers!

Ulrich, please note that in the end this was all  because you're
still learning to understand R (e.g., data frames !) better.

As such this was completely inappropriate for R-devel and should
have gotten to the R help list  R-help.

With regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich