[Rd] [patch] Error in reg-tests-1c.R (R-devel)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 18 12:50:21 CEST 2016

    > I get an error when running "make check" after building
    > R-devel r70629 on Ubuntu 14.04.
    > Here are the relevant
    > lines in the file "reg-tests-1c.Rout.fail":

    >    > ## m1z uses match(x, *) with length(x) == 1 and failed in R 3.3.0
    >    > ## PR#16909 - a consequence of the match() bug; check here too:
    >    > dv <- data.frame(varé1 = 1:3, varé2 = 3); dv[,"varé2"] <- 2
    >    Error: unexpected input in "dv <- data.frame(var<C3>"
    >    Execution halted

    > The attached patch uses escape sequences for all non-ASCII characters in
    > this test and performs pretty much the same check as the original
    > version, as far as I know. This fixes "make check" for me. The patched
    > check fails on R 3.3.0 as it should.

Thank you, Mikko!

This is ..hmm.. "interesting".  We have a few other non-ASCII characters
in a few of the tests/*.R  files  and they don't seem to harm
your checks; even  reg-tests-1c.R  contains some.

Also, the "Installation and Administration" R Manual mentions
that some of the tests only run flawlessly if you are not using
"unusual" locales.  So I am a bit puzzled that exactly this
(new) test fails in your locale, but the others did not.

However, as I said, thank you indeed for diagnosing the problem and
providing a patch working around it (and still checking the
intended problem !!).
I'm applying the patch now ... so you'd continue to be one of
our valuable pre-alpha/beta testers.

With best regards,
Martin