[Rd] issues with dev.new avoiding RStudio plot device on unix?

Skye Bender-deMoll skyebend at skyeome.net
Fri Sep 25 20:53:34 CEST 2015

Hi R-devl,

I'm still unable to force opening an *interactive* non-Rstudio
platform-specific plot device on *unix* systems.

dev.new() add a new argument 'noRStudioGD' in R 3.1.1.  Thank you. It
works for me when using RStudio on Windows, but on the unix system it
opens a pdf device instead of an interactive device when using an
interactive RStudio session (with R_DEFAULT_DEVICE and
R_INTERACIVE_DEVICE not set).

Do other unix RStudio users see this behavior?

It appears that the relevant line of dev.new (and in zzz.R):

    else if (nzchar(dsp) && .Platform$GUI %in% c("X11", "Tk"))
              X11
    else defdev

but when I step through in debugger, I see that

Browse[2]> .Platform$GUI
[1] "RStudio"

so instead of returning X11, it returnd defdev (pdf)

perhaps changing to

.Platform$GUI %in% c("X11", "Tk", "RStudio")

would work, but seems a little strange logically.

best,
  -skye

p.s.  I wonder if instead of having a noRStudioGD=TRUE flag, it might be
a more future-proof design to have an avoid.devices='RStudioGD' argument
  in case users need to induce similar behavior to avoid other current
or future devices?  Probably to late now tho.