[Rd] NEWS.md support on CRAN

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun May 24 04:01:14 CEST 2015

On 23/05/2015 8:51 PM, Baptiste Auguie wrote:
> John MacFarlane, the author of Pandoc, has been working on a project
> (http://commonmark.org/) to define a standard reference for Markdown*.
> There are already two reference implementations, one in javascript, the
> other in C:  https://github.com/jgm/cmark

It sounds as though there are at least two possibilities for parsers
that could be included in R:  Sundown and commonmark.  The "markdown"
package does some of what R would need to make use of Sundown, but not
all:  we really do need an R object representation of the parse tree,
for functions like news() to work with in the short term, and the help
system in the longer term.  To allow NEWS.md to be used, we'd also need
someone to work out the conventions for what's allowed (probably very
similar to the conventions for NEWS or NEWS.Rd), and write code to work
with those files.

Does anyone want to work on this?

Duncan Murdoch