[Rd] NEWS.md support on CRAN

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat May 23 03:08:14 CEST 2015

On 22/05/2015 8:49 PM, Imanuel Costigan wrote:
> Are there any plans for CRAN to support NEWS files in markdown? Bit of a hassle to go the the package’s Github (or other like) site to read NEWS.

Not as far as I know.  There have been discussions about increasing the
support of Markdown, but so far the conclusion has been that it's too
hard to do -- the support is not stable enough on all the platforms
where R runs.

Markdown is allowed for vignettes (because the package author processes
those), so I'd suggest putting your news into a vignette instead of a
news file.  Put in a token news file that points to the vignette so
users can find it.

Duncan Murdoch