[Rd] \alias{} --> rather \concept{} for conceptual "links" to help pages

Martin Maechler maechler at lynne.stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon May 18 14:14:04 CEST 2015

>From R-help, subject  "Variable number of loops"
I've opened a new thread, moving from R-help to R-devel ..

    > Hi all, Given the number of help requests that involve
    > permutations/combinations, and the less than obvious
    > naming of the expand.grid function, perhaps adding an
    > alias such as "permute.elements" or "combine.elements"
    > might ease the tasks of both searchers and those offering
    > help. Neither of the above names appear to be used at
    > present.

    > Jim

Using \alias{} is not a very good thing here, since as you know they
are *key*s that must remain unique if possible and they can be
linked to -- which I think would not be helpful for  'expand.grid'.

Rather, for quite a few years now, we have had \concept{} for
adding "search keywords", i.e., things that
help.search()  and hence ??<topic>  will find.

The other advantage of \concept{} is that you can use short
phrases, i.e.,

\concept{all variable combinations}

would be possible here.

(Better wording proposals for this specific case are welcome! --
 maybe privately).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich