[Rd] Shouldn't vector indexing with negative out-of-range index give an error?

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Tue May 5 17:45:30 CEST 2015

When someone suggests that we "might have had a reason" for some peculiarity in the original S, my usual reaction is "Or else we never thought of the problem".

In this case, however, there is a relevant statement in the 1988 "blue book".  In the discussion of subscripting (p 358) the definition for negative i says: "the indices consist of the elements of seq(along=x) that do not match any elements in -i".

Suggesting that no bounds checking on -i takes place.

John