[Rd] C-API: check whether R has been initialized ?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon May 4 06:06:50 CEST 2015

Laurent,

On May 3, 2015, at 8:07 PM, Laurent Gautier <lgautier at gmail.com> wrote:

> rPython appears to provide an interface from R to Python by embedding
> Python and I'd think that it can safely assume that R has been initialized,
> but might not be the point here.
>
> The issue is that a Python package embedding itself R (here rpy2) appears
> to have no way to know that earlier in the life of the process R was
> initialized.

Duncan's point was that it has - since it would have to embed R itself and thus record the initialization. I suppose you're asking about a case where you want to detect that something else already started R so you can't embed it yourself anymore and thus have to abort -- one side-effect check is to see if R_NilValue is NULL since that would only be the case if R was not started yet. Note, however, that if you didn't initialize it you can't embed it.

Cheers,
Simon

PS: there are much better interfaces to Python than rPython (which is mostly dysfunctional) - see
http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython
https://github.com/s-u/rpython

PPS: I wish you didn't hide the capsulling in rpy2 since that prevents us from having common references that rpy2 can use (please contact me off the list).