[Rd] RFC: Matrix package: Matrix products (%*%, crossprod, tcrossprod) involving "nsparseMatrix" aka sparse pattern matrices

Martin Maechler maechler at lynne.stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 20 11:07:32 CET 2015

    MH> Hi Martin,
    MH> package arules heavily relies on ngCMatrix and uses multiplication and
    MH> addition for logical operations. I think it makes sense that in a mixed
    MH> operation with one dgCMatrix and one ngCMatrix the ngCMatrix should be
    MH> "promoted" to a dgCMatrix.

    MH> The current behavior of %*% and friends is in deed confusing:

    >> m <- matrix(sample(c(0,1), 5*5, replace=TRUE), nrow=5)
    >> x <- as(m, "dgCMatrix")
    >> y <- as(m, "ngCMatrix")
    >> x %*% y
    MH> 5 x 5 sparse Matrix of class "ngCMatrix"

    MH> [1,] | | | . |
    MH> [2,] | | | . |
    MH> [3,] . . | | .
    MH> [4,] . . . | .
    MH> [5,] | | | | |

    >> x %*% x
    MH> 5 x 5 sparse Matrix of class "dgCMatrix"

    MH> [1,] 1 2 1 . 2
    MH> [2,] 1 3 1 . 3
    MH> [3,] . . 1 2 .
    MH> [4,] . . . 1 .
    MH> [5,] 1 2 2 1 2

Indeed, that is not what one should expect.

    MH> We even explicitly coerce in our code ngCMatrix to dgCMatrix to avoid
    MH> this behavior. I think all these operations probably should result
    MH> consistently in a dgCMatrix.

Eventually.   As I said, it *is* useful to work with boolean
arithmetic in some cases here, so I do want to provide that
.. hopefully entirely consistently as well in the future, but
longer term not via '%*%'

    MH> I would love to see | and & for position-wise AND and OR for ngCMatrix.

Well, why don't you look? ;-)

These have worked for a long time already! (I checked a version
from 2008)

Thanks a lot, Michael, for your valuable feedback.
Martin