[Rd] RFC: Matrix package: Matrix products (%*%, crossprod, tcrossprod) involving "nsparseMatrix" aka sparse pattern matrices

Michael Hahsler mhahsler at lyle.smu.edu
Fri Mar 20 02:15:37 CET 2015

Hi Martin,

package arules heavily relies on ngCMatrix and uses multiplication and
addition for logical operations. I think it makes sense that in a mixed
operation with one dgCMatrix and one ngCMatrix the ngCMatrix should be
"promoted" to a dgCMatrix.

The current behavior of %*% and friends is in deed confusing:

 > m <- matrix(sample(c(0,1), 5*5, replace=TRUE), nrow=5)
 > x <- as(m, "dgCMatrix")
 > y <- as(m, "ngCMatrix")
 > x %*% y
5 x 5 sparse Matrix of class "ngCMatrix"

[1,] | | | . |
[2,] | | | . |
[3,] . . | | .
[4,] . . . | .
[5,] | | | | |

 > x %*% x
5 x 5 sparse Matrix of class "dgCMatrix"

[1,] 1 2 1 . 2
[2,] 1 3 1 . 3
[3,] . . 1 2 .
[4,] . . . 1 .
[5,] 1 2 2 1 2

We even explicitly coerce in our code ngCMatrix to dgCMatrix to avoid
this behavior. I think all these operations probably should result
consistently in a dgCMatrix.

I would love to see | and & for position-wise AND and OR for ngCMatrix.

Thanks,
-Michael

--
   Michael Hahsler, Assistant Professor
   Department of Engineering Management, Information, and Systems

   office: Caruth Hall, suite 337, room 311
   email:  mhahsler at lyle.smu.edu
   web:    http://lyle.smu.edu/~mhahsler