[Rd] R-devel does not update the C++ returned variables

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:09:25 CET 2015

On 02/03/2015 8:46 AM, sarah manderni wrote:
> Thanks! I went through the online posts which supports the power of
> .Call over .C. But my probably naive question is why does this work
> for my code with R but not R-devel?

Because of the change mentioned in the NEWS file.

> And another question is related to using .Call. Based on the manual
> page, I do not need to change the function parameters when using
> .Call. So I can run like this:
> .Call("sppedUp", D, S, pD, pS, nrow(D), as.integer(N), length(N),
>            ssq[i], i, as.integer(B), overlaps, overlaps.P)
>
> But I am receiving the memory(?) related error:
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
> what():  std::bad_alloc
> Now that I am running the code using .Call.

Code using .Call is quite different from code using .C.  My guess would
be that you didn't get all the details right.

I generally recommend that people use Rcpp, which hides a lot of the
details.  It will generate your .Call calls for you, and generate the
C++ code that receives them; you just need to think about the real
problem, not the interface.  It has its own learning curve, but I think
it is easier than using the low-level code that you need to work with .Call.

Duncan Murdoch