[Rd] update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE): possible bug

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Wed Jul 29 18:55:28 CEST 2015

On 7/19/2015 3:50 AM, peter dalgaard wrote:
>> For some, but not allI repositories I get the error message below:
>> >Error in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, contriburl =
>> >contriburl,  :
>> >  specifying 'contriburl' or 'available' requires a single type, not type =
>> >"both"
>> >
>> >Is it a bug?

I think that what Jose is referring to is this error message from
install.packages(), even though he set
options(pkgType='binary')
Isn't that a bug?

Moreover, in a fresh R 3.2.1 session [Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64
(64-bit)], I see
 > getOption("pkgType")
[1] "both"

I think this is somehow related to the fact that install.packages() will
now tell you if a more current source package exists and ask if you want
to install from source.  But this would require RTools to
be installed to work.

IMHO, I consider this a major infelicity or design flaw, that will cause
problems for naive and even experienced users.  install.packages("foo")
should always work unless package "foo" cannot
cannot be found in getOption("repos")

-Michael