[Rd] New version of Rtools for Windows

Avraham Adler avraham.adler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 08:54:51 CET 2015

Regarding the redefinition error, I've asked on StackOverflow for
advice [1], but I have noticed the following; perhaps someone here can
understand what changed between the stdio.h of 4.6.3 and the stdio.h
of 4.8.4. In GCC 4.8.4, the section of stdio.h which is referenced in
the errors is the following:

#if !defined (__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO) || __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO == 0
/* this is here to deal with software defining
 * vsnprintf as _vsnprintf, eg. libxml2.  */
#pragma push_macro("snprintf")
#pragma push_macro("vsnprintf")
# undef snprintf
# undef vsnprintf
  int __cdecl __ms_vsnprintf(char * __restrict__ d,size_t n,const char
* __restrict__ format,va_list arg)
    __MINGW_ATTRIB_DEPRECATED_MSVC2005 __MINGW_ATTRIB_DEPRECATED_SEC_WARN;

  __mingw_ovr
  __MINGW_ATTRIB_NONNULL(3)
  int vsnprintf (char * __restrict__ __stream, size_t __n, const char
* __restrict__ __format, va_list __local_argv)
  {
    return __ms_vsnprintf (__stream, __n, __format, __local_argv);
  }

  int __cdecl __ms_snprintf(char * __restrict__ s, size_t n, const
char * __restrict__  format, ...);

#ifndef __NO_ISOCEXT
__mingw_ovr
__MINGW_ATTRIB_NONNULL(3)
int snprintf (char * __restrict__ __stream, size_t __n, const char *
__restrict__ __format, ...)
{
  register int __retval;
  __builtin_va_list __local_argv; __builtin_va_start( __local_argv, __format );
  __retval = __ms_vsnprintf (__stream, __n, __format, __local_argv);
  __builtin_va_end( __local_argv );
  return __retval;
}
#endif /* !__NO_ISOCEXT */

#pragma pop_macro ("vsnprintf")
#pragma pop_macro ("snprintf")
#endif

The corresponding section in 4.6.3 as found in the Rtools for Windows
installation is:

#if !defined (__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO) || __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO == 0
/* this is here to deal with software defining
 * vsnprintf as _vsnprintf, eg. libxml2.  */
#pragma push_macro("snprintf")
#pragma push_macro("vsnprintf")
# undef snprintf
# undef vsnprintf
  int __cdecl vsnprintf(char * __restrict__ d,size_t n,const char *
__restrict__ format,va_list arg)
    __MINGW_ATTRIB_DEPRECATED_MSVC2005 __MINGW_ATTRIB_DEPRECATED_SEC_WARN;

#ifndef __NO_ISOCEXT
  int __cdecl snprintf(char * __restrict__ s, size_t n, const char *
__restrict__  format, ...);
#ifndef __CRT__NO_INLINE
  __CRT_INLINE int __cdecl vsnprintf(char * __restrict__ d,size_t
n,const char * __restrict__ format,va_list arg)
  {
    return _vsnprintf (d, n, format, arg);
  }
#endif /* !__CRT__NO_INLINE */
#endif /* !__NO_ISOCEXT */
#pragma pop_macro ("vsnprintf")
#pragma pop_macro ("snprintf")
#endif

The latter does not have a direct redefinition of the two functions. I
still don't know why the #undef calls do not work [1].

Thank you,

Avi

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27853225/is-there-a-way-to-include-stdio-h-but-ignore-some-of-the-functions-therein