[Rd] Title case in DESCRIPTION for package where a word is a function name

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Fri Apr 24 17:35:21 CEST 2015

I was preparing a fix for a minor glitch in my optimx package and R CMD
check gave an error that the title was not in title case. It is

A Replacement and Extension of the optim() Function

R CMD check suggests the incorrect form

A Replacement and Extension of the Optim() Function

'Writing R Extensions' suggests single quotes, i.e.,

A Replacement and Extension of the 'optim()' Function

which R CMD check still complains about.

I have found

A Replacement and Extension of the _optim()_ Function

does not get the complaint, but I'm not sure the underscore is allowed.

Given that I've obeyed the RTFM rule, I'm wondering what to do now.

On a related matter, I'm finding the reverse dependency check for optimx
takes a very long time and sometimes stalls for reasons I have not yet
sorted out. I run it in virtual machines for R3.2 and R-devel. Possibly
optimx needs so many packages I'm hitting memory or disk limits. Perhaps
off-list discussion could suggest a way to set up a reverse check
server. I'd be willing to help on such a project, which might be helpful
for many developers.

JN