[Rd] OSX Yosemite (10.10): Are package binaries the same as for OSX Mavericks (10.9)?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Oct 27 19:16:10 CET 2014

I'm trying to help someone to troubleshoot possible OSX Yosemite
issues, but I've only got access to OSX (< 10.9) so I cannot check
myself.

When building/installing binary R packages, there are different
binaries depending on OSX version.  For instance, CRAN provides
different binaries for 'OS X Snow Leopard' and 'OS X Mavericks', e.g.
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/matrixStats/index.html.

What about the new OSX Yosemite?  From
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-admin.html#Yosemite it
looks like its binaries are the same/compatible with those of 'OS X
Mavericks' - can someone please confirm this?  Another way to put it,
if a repository provides OSX Mavericks binaries will an OSX Yosemite
user install these or we s/he fall back to installing from source?

Thanks

Henrik