[Rd] Feature request: mixing `...` (three dots) with other formal arguments in S4 methods

Janko Thyson janko.thyson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 03:53:39 CET 2014

Well, the benefit lies in the ability to pass along arguments via `...` to
more than one recipient that use *identical argument names* and/or when
these recipients are not necessarily located on the same calling stack
layer.

I'm *not* after a *general* change in the way arguments are
dispatched/functions are called as I'm actually a big friend of keepings
things quite explicit (thus declaring explicitly what's passed on to
subsequent functions by defining respective formal arguments).
Nevertheless, sometimes it's quite handy to use `...`.

Consider the implementation of `plot()`. It uses `...` quite extensively to
pass things along to `par()` which makes perfect sense: declaring formal
arguments for things that are merely passed along to `par()` in *all*
functions that depend on `par()` would probably be a developer's nightmare
w.r.t. refactoring should `par()` ever change.

But let's say that at one point in time, developers decide that `par()` can
also call something like `parShiny()` if `shiny = TRUE` in order
encapsulate shiny-specific graphical parameters in a own function (sorry, I
couldn't come up with a better example just now).  I'm using a simplified
example where `cex` is indeed a formal parameter (which is not the case in
the actual `par()`):

myPlot <- function(x, ...) {
  myPar(...)
}
myPar <- function (cex = 1.0, shiny = FALSE, ...) {
  if (!shiny) {
    message("myPar/cex:")
    print(cex)
  } else {
    parShiny(...)
  }
}
parShiny <- function (cex = 1.0) {
  message("parShiny/cex:")
  print(cex)
}
> myPlot(x = 10, cex = 1.25)
myPar/cex:
[1] 1.25

> myPlot(x = 10, cex = 1.25, shiny = TRUE)
parShiny/cex:
[1] 1

So: due to the fact that `myPar()` has a formal argument `cex`, `...` is
out of the question for passing along `cex` to `parShiny()`. You'd have to
change things to `parShiny(cex = cex)` in the implementation of `myPar()`
in order for this to work as expected - which you might or might not feel
is (too) cumbersome.

While it probably makes a lot of sense to pass things along explicitly in
95 % of cases, there might be situations where you'd prefer to being able
to use `...`.

But I don't want to overstress the (current) purpose/use case behind my
request. I just wondered if the limitation of not being able to mix `...`
with other formal arguments could be lifted soon as the possiblity is
already stated at `?dotsMethods` :-)