[Rd] Trouble installing Rcpp on AIX - missing "execinfo.h"

Mike Beddo Mike.Beddo at dataventures.com
Sat Nov 1 05:06:52 CET 2014

Dirk and Edward,

Thanks for the help.

I found for AIX that "execinfo.h" basically did nothing that I could tell. What I ended up doing was replacing the line in api.cpp "#include <execinfo.h>" with the following from gnulib:

int backtrace (void **buffer, int size)
{
    (void) buffer;
    (void) size;
    return 0;
}

char **backtrace_symbols (void *const *buffer, int size)
{
    (void) buffer;
    (void) size;
    return 0;
}

void backtrace_symbols_fd (void *const *buffer, int size, int fd)
{
    (void) buffer;
    (void) size;
    (void) fd;
}

So I've probably lost some functionality over other popular Unix systems, but the few examples that I ran from the Rcpp help pages, and for other packages that depend on Rcpp, seemed to indicate that what got built essentially works fine.

Up till now, at my work we've been moving data back and forth between AIX (data generation) and Windows (R analysis). I'm no fan of AIX, but we needed R on AIX so we can avoid all the data movement and be more productive.

I am going to have to learn more about Rcpp. This was really my first encounter with it - my co-worker depends on it so I was trying to build it on AIX for her.

I want to thank you both very much for the tips and help. If I can be of service to help with testing on AIX, please feel free to reach out to me. Building the base R system for AIX 7.1 was no small feat for me - I spent days back and forth between the IBM XL and GNU compilers, trying to find the flags that would work. The R Admin guide got me 80% of the way there, but I had to patch a system header file, etc. Once that was done, building the recommended packages went ok for the most part, but building Matrix gave lots of warnings but seems to work. AIX is no friend to non-IBM softwares.

I will subscribe to the rcpp-devel list, and probably buy the book.

Mike Beddo