[Rd] Trouble installing Rcpp on AIX - missing "execinfo.h"

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Nov 1 03:31:52 CET 2014

On 30 October 2014 at 04:13, Mike Beddo wrote:
| Greetings,
|
| When I try "install.packages('Rcpp')" it fails when compiling api.cpp (line 39). This is Rcpp 0.11.3. I searched my filesystem, and indeed I do not have execinfo.h anywhere. After some effort, I got R build on AIX. Now I am trying to build the packages I need. Rcpp is crucial.
|
| I first build R with the native IBM XL compilers, and Rcpp wouldn't build. That was because it wasn't a "GOOD COMPILER" (there's a directive in the Rcpp code that checks for various types of compilers). So I switched to building R with gcc/gfortran/g++ 4.8 and got past that point, but now blocked by the absence of "execinfo.h" header file.
|
| Any ideas?

I would have replied sooner if you had used the proper list -- which for
matters pertaining to Rcpp is the rcpp-devel list (and note that you need
subscribe first in order to post).

For systems we do not have access to -- like Solaris, Aix, or equally antique
and rarified Unix systems -- we do rely on those having access to run tests.
Worst case we can #ifdef some features away so that you can build with a
possibly sightly reduced feature set.  But you, or someone else on Aix, needs
to drive this as we can't.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org