[Rd] legitimate use of :::

Knut Krueger rh at knut-krueger.de
Wed May 14 11:25:10 CEST 2014

Am 14.05.2014 08:56, schrieb Deepayan Sarkar:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Duncan Murdoch
> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you are misunderstanding the comments in that file.  It's an
>> internal set of tests for the package, so "test some typical completion
>> attempts" is a description of the tests that follow, it's not a suggestion
>> that you should be able to run those lines
>> from your package.
>>
>> If you do want access to the completion mechanism from a package, you should
>> write to its author (Deepayan Sarkar) and explain the kinds of things you
>> need to do.  If you can convince him that giving you access is worth the
>> trouble of exposing some of it to user-level code, then he'll export a
>> function for you.  (I think it's unlikely to be .win32consoleCompletion, but
>> who knows.)
>
> Yes, .win32consoleCompletion() was meant for use by the Windows GUI,
> but I can see a use-case for something similar elsewhere (for example,
> ESS defines something analogous).
>
> But I don't immediately see why another R package should need this. If
> you have a legitimate use, we can discuss off-list and come up with a
> solution.

As TinnR was used at the University I tried to update the TinnR package
because it was removed from cran
http://cran.rstudio.com/web/packages/TinnR/index.html

I think they used the win32consoleCompletion to connect Tinnr (Windows)
with R - I do not really know the reason.

Actually I found that R-Studio is much better for R-beginner and
available for all platforms.

Thanks for your hints - but I will not solve this problem anymore

Knut